For starters, two Sabbaths ago I ended up singing a Burmese song with two of my students for special music. I am trying to find ways to talk to all of the students, which led me to ask Naung Naung to teach me a short tune. Saturday morning he worked with me and patiently helped with pronunciation along the way. While we were practicing the other students told us we should sing for special music - so we did, along with Hkawn Din. It actually went well and the students enjoyed hearing me sing in a different language. It also served its purpose of helping to generate conversation of a more substantial nature than "hi" and "good afternoon, how are you?".
Next on my list of out of character moments was on the 4th of July. We had the day off and I had to plan an afternoon of activities and fun in celebration. Unfortunately, Ajarn Leon got sick so we didn't have the truck to carry all the food from the school to the farm. This was excellent incentive to hop on the motorcycle and finally learn to use it. In all honesty I had been hesitant because it kind of scared me. I got on and instantly realized that driving the motorcycle would be a fun diversion while here. Plus, a day of cleverly strapping food to the back made me feel like one of the locals.
I am particularly fond of my helmet...The afternoon at the farm was a nice little break from the classroom. Highlights were the water balloon toss, fireworks and ice cream. The fireworks were particularly enjoyable. As a few can attest, I do not do well with fireworks displays unless they're put on by the city or professionals I can't see. I curiously watch as others walk to light the firecracker and then dodge behind whatever partition is fortuitously around. For our display this year we were presented with a pair of nine fireworks strapped together. I took one look and worried for whichever student was going to set them off. To my surprise the most obliging and gallant of my students decided the ajarns should set them off. After my requisite jokes of "I see, this is how you plan to be rid of us, etc" I realized he was serious and put on a brave face. It wasn't until later that I realized to the students they were really giving something up so that we could have a chance to go out and light the things. In the end, it was no big deal. My main problem was just getting the lighter to light in the first place. The resulting fireworks were worth it.

Yes, that is Monopoly Thailand...

All in all I would have to say it was a very enjoyable week.
1 comment:
by the way, i know i didn't say this at the time i read it..but i have to say, i have repeatedly seen this picture since then and marvelled at it. you remind me of a cool, laid back amelie. *sigh* and you KNOW what that means coming from me.. miss you ever so much!
Post a Comment