On Friday we drove to a town near the border and, on the advice of the locals, stayed the night. Friday afternoon one of my past students, Jay, took me on a motorbike trip up into the mountains surrounding the area. I still get nervous on motorbikes, but he's an expert driver. (He really is - he used to race bikes!) The road up to his friend's place had numerous twists and turns and was also a dirt road most of the way. I am getting better at just relaxing and trusting the driver - it's safer that way! We lucked out and it didn't start raining heavily until we got to the paved road on the way down.



The next morning we left town at 5am after getting our rope (which, thankfully, we didn't need!). Two and a half hours later we arrived in the camp. We unloaded all the food we brought, plus our bags and piled back in the truck. We had another bumpy ride to the other side of the camp where another family lives. I didn't go to their home last time, so it was fun seeing a different area. They fed us some little cakes (I ate sooo much this weekend!) and then, after a short walk around, we all piled back in the truck to Saw Baw's place.

The day was filled with eating, relaxing, walking around, and church! I gave up my camera again to the resident refugee camp photographer.

It seemed that everywhere we went people were outside being active. We saw young people playing many kinds of sports.







While in the camp I ate so much! They're really good cooks, and extremely nice hosts.


One thing that really interested me were the roofs made of leaves. Of course, they have thatched roofs outside the camp too, but there I was more curious. Apparently this kind of roof lasts for about a year. It is very cool (as in not hot). I couldn't understand how they could be so strong, but after feeling it I can see how it works. Apparently it doesn't take too long to put up either. About a day with four guys.




As a teacher, I am obviously interested in how and where students learn. I found their school interesting quite apart from being a teacher!



Here are some more pictures to get an idea of what it is like around the camp. Also, some of them are just cool pictures!







Saturday night we slept over in the camp. The family set up a place for us in the main room. It felt like they really went all out to make us feel comfortable. At night, they get electricity from about seven until nine. At that point, the lights flicker and they run to light the candles, then the lights go off. So there I was, lying under my pink mosquito net, with the soft candlelight and the sound of the river a few yards away. It was a very relaxing way to drift off to sleep.





The number of languages spoken this weekend was about four. The driver spoke Thai and a little English. LaNuNan spoke Burmese, English, and a little Thai. Jay spoke Karen, English, and Thai. I spoke...English. The families are Karen, so they spoke Karen, Burmese and a very small amount of Thai. It makes communicating very interesting!
All in all it was a great weekend, and I'm excited to go back!
No comments:
Post a Comment