Thursday, September 24, 2009

Teaching Gig

As if teaching for my day job weren't enough, I decided to do a short two week stint teaching at Payap University - where I'm also a student. It was a basic English conversation class for seniors. We were together two hours a day, five days a week, for two weeks. Not really a lot of time. This was the only time I've taught away from Legacy. It was interesting having more than eight people in my class. It was actually still pretty small ranging from 6-16.

Some random things I noticed in no particular order:
1. It's okay to be a half an hour late because of rain.
2. It's okay to be late. As in consistently, 10-15 minutes.
3. I don't notice any cliques.
4. Students LOVE to laugh and joke around, with anyone and everyone.
5. You can almost guarantee they will not bring their notes from the last class.
6. Some didn't bring a pen.
7. Speaking Thai in English class is way more fun than speaking English in English class.
8. The class is easier to manage if I dress up in a skirt and heels.
9. The class is easier to manage if I joke around.
10. Remember to smile!

Here is my class! I'm turning Thai and I take pictures of people - I never used to take pictures of people!

See the dog? I guess if they are little enough they can come to class.

No comments: