Saturday, January 9, 2010

Green, Green, Green!

About three months ago our garden at the farm was a giant, tangled mess of weeds and brush. Frankly, it was a little scary looking - anything could live in there! I kept away. Well, things have changed. Atiwat (the drum maker) took over our garden a couple months ago. Since that time, the garden has been transformed. I get out to the farm maybe once a week and every time I go the garden looks different.

We've already eaten some of the food from there. Atiwat asked me what food I am looking forward to having. Well, cucumbers, squash, pumpkin (hmmm, should I try a pie?) and corn! He plucked a cucumber for me so I don't have to wait on that one. It was tasty.

Following are pictures from the new garden. Notice the nice signs? Pretty cool, huh?

Roselle, Hot peppers, Chinese kale, Corn

Long beans

Pumpkin and Long beans

Rat-tailed radish and Sugar peas



And here are some shots of the produce coming in...

Tomato

Corn

Squash

Pumpkin


We are also starting to get fish from our fish pond...

Tilapia


And with all this talk and excitement about gardens, I have plans for one of my own in the overgrown area by the house. First, though, we've started with a compost. Pictures of progress on my garden will be forthcoming. I think I will wait until rainy season to plant, but I have some aesthetic improvements to make first!
Here are DaNi, Uaorawet, and Atiwat helping me, ie basically doing all the work - I should say I helped them!

2 comments:

aimee said...

Wow, very awesome! Such a gorgeous garden, too!! Makes me really yearn for spring :) Ooh, and then I get to see you - there's that, too!!! :)

MARMEST said...

The pictures are awesome! The students are doing a good job of taking pride in the school. Spring - I get to see YOU!!! :)