There are a few things I would like to see in Thailand and over this break I was able to knock three of them off my list. Near Chiang Mai is Doi Inthanon which is the highest point in Thailand. That seems like a worthy distinction and so I wanted to check it out. Besides, I'd heard it was beautiful!
A couple weeks ago a friend from the US came and it was a perfect chance to go see it. We went as part of a tour so we saw a waterfall, visited a Karen village, went to the top of the mountain, stopped at a King's Project, saw the Twin Pagodas, and walked down to another waterfall. The Pagodas, or Chedis*, were built for the King and Queen of Thailands 60th birthdays. Although the pictures below don't convey it very well, the chedis are actually quite big and very beautiful. They also contain many mosaics and carvings having to do with Buddhism.
 |
| Wachirathan Waterfall |
 |
| Waterfall with a rainbow. |
 |
| The view from the top of Doi Inthanon. |
 |
| Ahhh - I've made it to the top! |
 |
| King's Chedi |
 |
| Gardens near the King's and Queen's chedis. |
 |
| Portrait of the King of Thailand. |
 |
| Queen's Chedi |
 |
| Kelly and I at another waterfall. |
Stayed tuned for the two other things that I was able to cross off my list this break!
*
Sometimes translated as stupa or even pagoda. This generally bell-shaped tower will usually contain a relic of the Buddha, but may also be built to contain the ashes of a king or important monk. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment