Thursday, June 14, 2007

Our class trip

Today was an answer to the restlessness of my last post. I think the students have been getting restless too. So the school sent us all on a day trip to Mae Sa Waterfalls. I was expecting a short outing actually. I heard we would be leaving around 9 or 10 this morning and that was about it. I grabbed an umbrella (I never leave home without it - and am often rewarded) and my camera and joined the crew. We piled into the back of the pick-up (my first time using the back as a mode of transporation for myself) and jolted down the road. Our journey in the truck took us through Mae Rim and, as we had to stop for lunch supplies, gave us a close-up look at one of the many colorful shops along the road. They are colorful because the stores are so shallow that all of the inventory is close to the road.
The waterfalls are only about a 15-20 minute drive from here. We arrived shortly and hiked a short way up the ten adjoining falls. We set up a little base camp of sorts and started the rest of the way up. Here is where the camera became a big deal. I had no idea how much everyone would love having their pictures taken. There was pose after pose. Needless to say, the hike up the relatively short distance took awhile. After about 2 hours of hiking/walking we returned for lunch.

I would have to say that the highlight of the day was finding out everyone was prepared to go swimming. Of course, I wasn't prepared - but in the end it was no matter and I jumped right in with the rest. Many just swam in regular clothes anyway and brought dry clothes along.

It was really a lot of fun chasing eachother around in the water, falling over, doing silly things. I think it actually really did help to bring the students closer together - and the teachers too! Since about half the students are from Burma and the other half are from Thailand, there is a natural divide that is difficult for them to cross. They have to speak English when they talk to eachother. Good for me, hard for them!

After a couple more hours of fun it started to rain and was time to go. The ride back was very interesting - but the students have a hang of how to hold the umbrellas so we weren't soaked through (although I was already soaked, so it didn't matter!). I thought it was a refreshing close to a really enjoyable day. I am already looking forward to more excursions, as they are all so much fun to be with!

Addition 6/15: Just for you Aimee! : ) A picture of Malat, myself, and Kohn Din - Plus, look at that crazy tree!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! I'm glad you got to do something like that - taking opportunities to see the country you're in as opposed to just being there. Only concern: where are the pictures of you?

And this very much reminds me of the days you were my Foreign Travel Correspondent for Soma. If Soma resurrects itself (or has a little outside help), I may have to copy and paste a few of these into it ;)

Aimee said...

Wow. Disregard. I am the weirdo. Note to all: if you CLICK on the pictures, they'll get BIGGER. And then you can clearly see the Erika.