It is one of those spring nights, not unlike one in Minneapolis, where, after a long hot day, we are rewarded with a glowing sunset and a cooling breeze. On these types of nights at home I would get the urge to call someone up, jump in the car, and meet whomever someplace, anyplace - preferably The Brewpub, Psycho Suzi's, or the lakes. The weather calls for an outdoor patio, a good drink, and fun conversation.
It sounds like I miss home when in actuality I don't that much. However, I am feeling a bit restless tonight. I have been pacing the courtyard here at the school and wanting to go out and do something. One of my students, Beka (bayka), appeared to be in the same mood as he was riding his bike around in circles. I stopped to chat and said, "It is just one of those nights where I am feeling restless." He gave me a smile (a polite one that means he doesn't know what I am talking about but doesn't want me to have to repeat it.) I now know this smile. "Hey, restless was one of our vocabulary words," I said. "It means that a person can't sleep, that they may be nervous, and/or they can't sit still - they want to be doing something." He seemed to understand then and went pedaling off muttering "restless" under his breath so as not to forget the word.
This kind of illustrates how I feel here a lot. We are kind of out of the way, making going into town difficult, and while here I feel a little claustrophobic because talking is kind of a chore. Fortunately, there is the other teacher, Stacey, who I get along very well with, but one person day in and day out doesn't make my world feel like it's getting bigger. Of course I do speak with the students quite a lot and really enjoy all of them.
I do hope that this post doesn't sound too negative - I'm actually in a really good mood! I went running this evening with one of the students, Naley, and played badminton with her and two other gals. I also talked to our cook, Andrew, for awhile about gas prices and where he should visit when he comes to the US. (I had to admit, though it pained me, that there isn't really much for a tourist to see in Minneapolis.) Andrew has a good grasp on English. In terms of the others, I am trying to find activities that they enjoy and am hoping to connect that way. Once classes start and they all respond to my mad teaching skills I see a dramatic change in store!
If anyone has any suggestions for me about teaching (or making the most of being a foreigner who doesn't speak the language) let me know. I do intend to learn some Thai while I am here, however, I am supposed to speak English with the students since that is a big reason they come to this school. Makes sense.
Thursday, June 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I went to Brew Pub the other day with Mya. They were out of Old 8 Porter, which she was going to get. So the waitress (can't remember her name, but you know the blonde one who's always flustered - she didn't card me this time because, as she announced with a rather dismissive wave, she "recognized me". RECOGNITION AT LAST!!!) suggested some alternatives. One was a dark porter that was brewed (or whatever the word is) with coffee grounds. I had to try it, and it was like an iced coffee (no ice) with a kick! Mya said it was good I couldn't buy a growler of it for the road (it was a limited brew, only 5 gallons made) as I'd be too tempted to drink it with breakfast. Made me think of you - because it was a beer that you and I could heartily agree on. YUM!
Post a Comment