Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Loi Krathong Festival

Loi Krathong is a festival held on the first full moon of November. Loi means "to float" and Krathong are the little lotus shaped boats. Locals send these things floating down rivers, canals, across ponds, etc. Sometimes they also have incense sticks and candles placed in them. It seems there are quite a few different beliefs about this festival ranging from thinking it's just fun to believing that sending off a krathong will being good luck. In Chiang Mai they also send up candle-powered hot air balloons that are made of paper and wire. In addition, there are fireworks and firecrackers galore!
I took a few of the students in to Chiang Mai to wander around and see all the festivities. I think the most enjoyable part for me was to spend time with the students outside of school. It was also very beautiful and I appreciated it from a cultural standpoint. There was a parade with many of the local university students dressed in "traditional" costumes. (The average Thai person I'm sure never wore these elaborate get-ups!) The only part I had a hard time with was all of the senseless noise. People would set off small firecrackers close by and my ears would ring. Also, I felt sure that sending fire off in every direction could only result in a disaster of some sort. Fortunately for us, I was wrong about that.
A balloon being filled and then floating into the air.

The moon rose right over the Moon River Restaurant.

One of the many inventive and pretty entrants in the parade.

Loi Krathong royalty.

Don't you think they look fun to hang out with? Actually, I think a few of them are going for sultry, not fun...

Lit up boat on the Ping River.

Those little flecks of light in the water are the krathong.

A close up of the krathong.

More costumes.

So maybe my fears weren't so crazy after all...

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Yeah I'm pretty sure the only person going for "sultry" in that picture was you - that one guy looks like he's going for broody, twisty, or even quasi-angsty.