Thailand's King
The King and Queen are extremely popular and well-liked here in Thailand. Their pictures adorn many a roadway, along with homes and public establishments. Before watching a movie we stand up in respect to the King as his song is played and this anthem is heard most mornings here in our village (much to my chagrin since the decibel level is generally really high). The students (including the Burmese students) are always curious/concerned about the King's welfare and speak about him and what he has done with a lot of respect. From what I can tell, he is deserving of this respect. Obviously I am not personally acquainted with him!, but from the numerous projects he has helped start, and his expertise in many areas including science, sports, music, languages, (and then some) he appears to be a true leader.
This year he turned 80, so on December 5th there were elaborate festivities all over Thailand. The night before his birthday he gave a speech that we watched on TV here at school. It was the first time I had seen the King speak and it was interesting finally seeing him in action. One of our students translated the speech, making it possible to know why the audience was laughing, and even more importantly, to get an idea of what the King is like. His speech was not very political in that he touched on many issues but wasn't trying to really push an agenda. He shared his opinions on things from global warming, to dams being built, sufficiency economies, oil, and his health. He joked a bit about his wardrobe (which has been very colorful lately with suits in every hue of the rainbow) and his age. Watching the audience was about as interesting as watching the King. For most of the time they looked bored (I'm not sure that they really were, I think it's just a common way to look here!), but then they would laugh at his jokes. I'm not always sure what some expressions mean.
Seeing the King and the way my Thai students took such an interest in what he said made me feel like I understand a little more how the royal family holds Thailand together. It also made me see the value of a good king. I get the impression he has more of a chance to remain true to his opinions because he doesn't have to worry about opponents and elections. In Thailand, both the King and Queen's opinions are highly valued by the people.
This was just one small step towards understanding this country I moved to!
Thai Class
The second, bigger, step taken recently was the advent of Thai class. We've had 5 lessons so far (two 2 hour classes each week) and I think I am finally starting to get a little of how Thai works. In our class there has been a big focus on learning the alphabet (all 44 consonants and 32 vowels) and then learning how to read and write. Not all of the consonants and vowels are in use, and just a few consonants are used frequently, so learning is a little easier than I originally thought. This week I was starting to understand how to pronounce the different words I was reading and I understood the teacher once when he spoke in Thai! Hey - I'd call that a break through. : ) I'm really enjoying the class and am hoping that I will know Thai enough to get around by the end of our class.
Visitors Welcome
Two Fridays ago I got a visitor here at the school! Thanks Ian! Ian has been my one and only visitor (this will change in two weeks when Ben gets here!!!) and it was so great to get to show him around. I was kind of surprised what a show-off mood I was in. Our school is very modest. But there is something really charming about it. It was just kind of fun to see what someone else who isn't biased thought. And he liked it. Mostly I liked introducing him to the students who are fun to watch every time they meet someone new. I like to see who tries to use their English. Unfortunately, Ian couldn't be here for long but it was nice he came nonetheless! (Oh yeah, and going out for Mexican food the night before wasn't bad either! Thai food is good - but so is variety!)
Lessons in Nursing
Anyone who thinks they are coming here just to teach would be in for a big surprise. I think the job is probably closer to being a mother, although I have no actual basis for that feeling. One area this applies to is being a nurse. Sure I don't have the starched white hat, skirt and blouse, nor the degree, but I still get to help others with their minor cuts, sprains and illnesses. This isn't to say, of course, that I don't know my place. If they need help they get it from someone who knows more than I do! However, just like when I was a kid, they aren't brought to the doctor for every problem. A couple weeks ago our cook came to me, blood dripping from his hand (he cut off a bit of the tip of his finger) and wanted some bandages. I was surprised that I got a little nauseous, since I usually don't have a problem with the sight of blood. I did send him across the road to the clinic. There, they gave him what I had already, but it only cost a dollar and I could rest assured that everything would be okay! Prayers that all my students stay healthy so I don't have to deal with any really serious problems would be great! : )
This brings to mind the attitude towards health that exists here. At the start of the school year our students wanted to go to the doctor for every little thing. This could include a headache, gas, a stomach ache, a heart that was beating really fast, eyes that hurt, etc. Since most or all of these things could potentially mean something serious, we would try to ask lots of questions to understand what the problem really was. We hesitated to bring them to the doctor if it was minor because the doctor would usually prescribe a plethora of pills. Lately, though, I think the students are better at identifying the problem. Often, they were just dehydrated. So now they will drink some water and realize the problem went away. Or they'll have tea, ask for eye drops, or eat less sugar. I think we now have a pretty healthy bunch!
Taking a Break
This week starts the first of a three week "vacation". I have many plans for things to do here to get our school spic and span. I suppose since most of you haven't been here you will not understand why this opportunity is so exciting for me. But keeping the school organized can be challenging, especially since it wasn't really organized when I got here. In the next few weeks we'll be moving around piles of rubble, scrubbing floors and windows, pulling weeds, trimming bushes, planting.... anything to give the school a spruce. The hope is that we will get systems in place to maintain a level of cleanliness heretofore unseen!
Ahhh, yes, being on break can be a really good thing, but there is also the other side of the coin - many of our students go home. It's kind of sad. I miss them! A few have said they'll call and one already has, so I think it's fair to say we'll keep in touch!
A Sense of Humor Is Always Welcome
Having meaningful conversations with my students can still be a challenge. And sometimes I feel like I want to know what they are saying in their native languages just because they sound like they are so funny! The other night Seng-Mai came downstairs holding her purse. She was already laughing and begin to pull wallets out, saying "one is from Ajarn Erika, one from the Ajarns, and one from before" then she held up the purse "a gift from one of the students". Then she said "all of these places to put money and no money - just 3 baht. One baht in each wallet." Then we joked that the wallets should at least feel useful this way, to which she responded "only one baht is mine". We were laughing and said maybe having all of those places for money was a sign of things to come. She started running off and laughingly called over her shoulder "maybe in 2008!". The story is told here more to say "hey, my students have the ability to crack me up!" than to provide something for my readers to find really funny! However, if you did, then good, I commend your imagination!
Problems Come In All Shapes and Sizes
It isn't really fair to call Diddle a problem. The official Legacy cat just had some bad luck. This cat was the most accident prone thing I have ever seen. He started off with 2 successive scorpion bites then got sick, then broke his leg, then got sick again. The last proved to be the undoing of the little cat. He ended up getting FIV, which is cat HIV. Of course it wreaked havoc on his immune system and today, after seeing he would not get better, Stacey brought him to get put to sleep. I can't say I was greatly affected since I am not much of an animal person. That being said, it was still a little sad because he was a rather playful fellow and provided a lot of fodder for conversation.
This has been a true and faithful update of the last two weeks. Trust me, there will be more to come...
1 comment:
There had better be more to come! Reading your life makes mine seem so .... well, un-Thai. *le sigh*
Post a Comment