Planning travel here can be difficult because there is not really a website with times of buses and a map of routes. Also, it's hard to understand where you want to end up. This is because they often use the roman alphabet to spell things out phonetically. Often, it gets spelled differently in different places. The easiest example - is my city Chiang Mai or Chiangmai? Well, written in Thai it's all one word - เชียงใหม่, but you will see it written both of the other ways.
This weekend I went to Mae Chan. I went out to the main road to catch the bus and one of my students came along to make sure I got on the right one. I was worried I wouldn't be able to read the Thai fast enough to flag it down! I got on the bus and took a nice ride to Chiang Dao (about 60km) where I met Somboon, Narirat's friend. He took me the rest of the way to her place by motorbike about 200km - my longest motorbike ride yet! It was pretty fun actually, because on the motorbike I don't ever feel motion sick and I get to easily see all the beautiful scenery.




I arrived in the village of Narirat's fiance about 6:30. I met her friends and we had fun communicating - me finally braving what little Thai I know and them the same with English. Of course, my student translated some and so did Somboon (who goes to school in India).
That night I went to bed around 11:30 - finally truly falling asleep around 2 when all the music stopped. At 5:50 the next morning everyone was up again. There was breakfast and then the wedding at 10. After the wedding there was a meal served for everyone in the village. Then I came home.
It was a short, day and half trip, but so fun.





2 comments:
A very cute couple indeed :) Glad you had a good trip
Aww!! Yay!!
Post a Comment