Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Om Koi Trip

I love getting a chance to see where my students live and to see more of Thailand. What's more, I really enjoy learning more about Thai schools and seeing how they are run. Fortunately for me I was able to do all three things a few weeks ago! One of my former students, Jeh, was back at his old elementary school helping with an English camp along with a former Legacy employee who now teaches there. Another past teacher and friend went also. We piled into the truck in early afternoon and arrived at the school about 4 hours later.
The journey was beautiful, since we drove through the mountains and along a few high ridges. The school is slightly out of the way and I would personally find it an adventure to drive or motorbike in the area! Fortunately I was just a passenger!

The first night there, we had a delicious dinner at Jeh's family's home. Unfortunately, since this was awhile ago, I don't remember everything we had. But I am so grateful to those who prepared it and for the hospitality.

One of the best things about that night was seeing all of the stars! I couldn't believe how black the sky was with so many stars shining! It was so big and beautiful!

Delicious dinner!

The next morning we went to the school and watched as students had their morning routine. We spent the morning and early afternoon helping in different English stations such as greetings or fruit.
English camp banner.

Me helping teach fruit vocabulary.

The students eating lunch.

Singing a song.

The whole group.


The school consists of predominately Karen students so we were given the traditional Karen shirt to wear.

The setting of the school was very beautiful with a stream running to one side. It was peaceful (at least when we were there!) and I found it somewhat relaxing. As we were leaving late that afternoon, the director told us that in the dry season wild elephants come down the mountain and try to eat the crops. I'm sure then the school isn't so peaceful!

1 comment:

Linda Torgeson said...

Hi Erika, Thanks for the Blog and it was so interesting. I know what you mean about the black sky and bright stars. You get out of an area with lights and it's shocking how you can't even see your hand in front of you if there is no light.

God's beauty is undefineable. How He blesses us!