Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Pickle Post

I have meant several times in the past to post about making pickles but would forget to take pictures, or forget the picture of the finished product, etc. So this time when I made pickles I was sure to document the process.

About a year ago I decided to look up a pickle recipe because we had cucumers and dill in the garden - two perfect ingredients for dill pickles! After a bit of looking I found a great recipe on eHow that looked quick and easy.

At one point I used garden grown chilies in my pickles, but this time they're from the market. In addition, I had hoped at some point to use garden grown garlic, but that experiment didn't work.

I was lamenting the fact that we didn't have the ingredients before 4th of July. Just imagine these pickles with our hamburgers and fries - perfect American meal in the heart of Thailand!

24 Hour Pickles*

What you need:
White vinegar
Water
Salt
Cucumbers
Fresh garlic
Fresh dill heads
Chilies (optional)


Step one: Combine the following ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil:
1 cup vinegar
5 cups water
1/3rd cup salt
Once the vinegar/salt/water (brine) has boiled, set aside and let cool completely.


Step 2: Cut 5-6 fresh pickle-sized cucumbers lengthwise into wedges (or slices for hamburgers!).


Step 3: Peel about ten cloves of garlic and slice finely.

Step 4: Put the cucumbers, garlic, 5 or 6 fresh heads of dill, and 2-3 chillies in a 1/2 gallon air-tight glass container (or equivalent).

Step 5: Pour the (cooled) brine into the jar(s). Secure the cover and place in the refrigerator.



Pickles are ready in 24 hours!

*This recipe was from eHow.com, which has since been revamped, and I can no longer find it online to reference.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I actually plan on using this recipe sometime. Perhaps next spring when you can do it with me ;)