One thing I love most about being here in Thailand is that I feel like I get to try a variety of new things. At least things that are new to me. I also feel like things happen spontaneously and that life is rarely dull. Another thing I like about my life here, is that I am around quite a few people every day - students primarily - and I find them interesting. I feel like I can learn a lot from them. It follows, then, that I like going out and doing things with students, which I got to do yesterday.
I have been here for five years and never gone fishing. I would hear about students going fishing after the fact, but I never got to go. Well, yesterday a small group of us went fishing up one of the small rivers near the farm. We mostly used a net, but one of the girls was an expert at using her hands to catch the fish. She would just reach her hand under the rocks and - snatch!
My contribution was throwing out the net a few times, dashing to hold down the net, and taking pictures.
 |
| The river we fished in. |
.jpg) |
| Bancha dragging the net in. |
.jpg) |
| Pulling the fish out of the net. |
.jpg) |
| The initial catch. |
.jpg) |
| Finding fish under the rocks. |
.jpg) |
| Figuring out what was producing some big bubbles (a crab). |
.jpg) |
Learning how to throw the net.
(First time not so good - second time okay!) |
We had maybe 25 small fish by the end. The students put them in soup that night for dinner. After this experience, I can finally see how fishing is a sport. We were all on the same team, against the fish I guess. And whenever someone got one we would cheer! Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment