Here's something for you. A little
New York Times review of a restaurant not far from my school in Chiang Mai Thailand. A couple days ago I was able to visit the farm mentioned in the article - Pun Pun. Legacy is hoping to become progressively more self-sufficient, specificallly by growing food at the farm here. Any followers of my blog will know that I love to take farm pics! Well, I think with the help of a new teacher, Abby, the farm will really expand and have more of a process. Since I've been interested in the farm (but not knowledgeable about it) I am happy to play secretary and organize our outings to learn more. Through someone I met a few weeks ago, I was able to hear about several farms in the area that have a goal of being self-sufficient and/or improving organic farming practices. That led to our trip to Pun Pun. We hoped to go and get as much information as we could!
 |
| On the way there, we rode in the back of the veggie truck - not many veggies, though, actually. |
.jpg) |
| The foreground is not the Pun Pun farm, the two buildings up on the hill are part of it. |
.jpg) |
| We got to help peel a big bunch of garlic. They didn't grow this (it's difficult and molds easily) but they bought a massive quantity at once. |
.jpg) |
| We also helped them collect seed. This is basil and I just had to pull the leaves off into the bowl. |
.jpg) |
| Here we are getting asparagus seeds. |
.jpg) |
| A group of us went to another part of the farm and planted fruit trees. In the picture I am adding manure to the hole before I put in the tree. |
.jpg) |
| One really interesting thing about this place is that they make earthen buildings. |
.jpg) |
| Here are the mud and rice husk bricks. |
.jpg) |
| Here is one of the houses covered in mud and rice husks, but not painted. |
.jpg) |
| On our way back we met with a fallen avocado tree that they tried to put upright to save the fruit. |
.jpg) |
| The place had electricity but they did use solar panels for hot showers |
.jpg) |
| This area had plants growing specifically for seeds. Seed saving is very important and many of the farms and organizations encourage it. |
.jpg) |
| View from the top of the big earthen building pictured above. |
.jpg) |
| Water tanks. They filtered their water through gravel, sand, and charcoal. |
.jpg) |
| Cute coffee shop. They sell delicious shakes made from produce on the farm. |
.jpg) |
| The seed area. |
We also walked about five minutes to a neighboring organic farm, Panyaa. We spent about 15 minutes there just looking and taking pictures. One thing that I thought was very innovative was the raised garden beds bordered by upside down bottles.
.jpg) |
| Upside down glass bottles. |
There was a lot of information. Many of the specifics are fuzzy. But I do have a better understanding of how a place like that is run. I also am understanding more and more about different fruits and vegetables and learning the right questions to ask. A wonderful learning experience!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment